My life, and my 2 cents.



Robinson Crusoe Returns

Probably won't be too bad to pick up from where I left off. A week's ETA eventually turned into a quarter of a year of hibernation. Took me a while to take the 'one week' lie head on. But what the heck, I'm back, me hearties!

About a year ago, when I exited bachelourhood, I was confronted with one of those questions that take me much longer than usual to answer: "So how's married life treating you?". Questions which have only one answer, usually consisting of a positive superlative; the bigger the hyperbole, the better. Situations which unfailingly compell me to search for a soundbyte piece intended to tear to shreds, the raison-de-etre of the question; without completely sounding like a pathological aberration.

Alas, faced with such affected curiousity, my even otherwise miniscule creativity/sense of humor undergoes a spectacular malfunction. Many moments of futile search for an unusual answer later, I usually blurt out a more than subjective 'uh.. pretty good'.

My hypersensitivity was to a large extent based on a post marital 'realization' that a marriage isn't a pain in the neck afterall (many thanks owed to wifey and folks) and life doesn't really change that much if you are an Indian male.

Today,
as an answer to the question, I have ten minute speech ready, that almost completely contradicts my thoughts of yore. Right after my last post, I moved out of my parents house and into a rented flat. The result is a realization that big changes in life take a while to sink in, and what changes during that period is the quantum of responsibility. So when I asked a dear friend who became a dad yesterday The Question, I understood completely when he said "Very good, and no idea. Will tell you after a month!".

So life's more about the train ride than the train station, but somehow the stations get talked about more than the journey. Perhaps because there would not be a journey if there hadn't been a destination. Your starting point determines where you are going to, your train, your co-passengers; your destination determines the adjustments you need to make once you get there. Nevertheless, its more of the journey with the scenery, the unscheduled stops, the new friends, the delays, et al.

Hear you say "No sh**, Sherlock?". Okay so you heard this before, but I relate a lot more now!


posted by Angshuman @ 4:34 PM,

1 Comments:

At 12:05 AM, Blogger The Blue Umbrella said...

Marriage and subsequently parenting does change things, quite a lot actually. Its not that you don't know things will change, its the extent and nature of changes.. and you have to take the plunge to experience it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home